Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Senator McCain—thanks for the invitation

By Mahmoud S. Audi, Ph.D.

Last night, Tuesday, June 10, 2008, when I returned home from my weekly social with SPS, I checked my telephone answering machine, and found that a McCain campaigner had left a message for me at about 8:30 P.M.; it is an invitation to attend a town-hall meeting at the Constitution Center, downtown Philadelphia. The invitation also says that I could bring my family and friends with me, besides I would be allowed to ask the Senator from Arizona any question, I might have. I felt the invitation came too late, but I immediately thought that it was an opportunity I shouldn't miss. I would have the chance to shake hands with a probable next president of the United States. I might also be able (not in a million) to ask the question that might influence the policy and modify the unjust standing of the United States in the Middle East. I went to bed with this thought on my mind.

When I woke up this morning, Wednesday (6-11-08), it was already 8:30 A.M. the town-hall meeting would start at 9:30 A.M. and therefore there is no way that I could make it to the hall. I need at least half an hour to take a shower and dress, and I need at least forty minutes to get there because of the multi-stops and traffic lights. So I decided to sit down and write the questions I would have tried to ask the candidate—the Republican presumptive nominee—any of them, if I would have the chance.

Question 1:

Do you believe that Islam is a religion, to which at least one quarter of the population of Earth adheres, worthy of respect as Christianity and Judaism?

Question 2:

Do you agree to work with the United Nations to define terrorist acts, terrorist individuals, terrorist organizations, and terrorist countries?

Question 3:

Would you accept the results of internationally observed and certified elections although you may not like them?

Question 4:

Do you believe that God loves all of his children equally, and all of us are the children of the same God?

Question 5:

Do you accept that the nuclear ambition of Iran is not the problem, but weakening Iran and balkanizing it is the goal? Do you also accept that Darfour was created to weaken and balkanize Sudan?

Question 6:

Do you know that there are human beings called the Palestinians? If your answer is positive, do you know that they have been living in misery--and recently collectively imprisioned by security walls surrounding their towns and villages-- because of our unjust policy toward Palestine and Israel?

Question 7:

Do you accept the fact that the United States is the greatest, country on Earth, economically, militarily, and morally, and we should demonstrate that to the world, by our behavior?

Question 8:

Do you know that you and I have one thing in common, other than being citizens of the same country, and other than our unparalleled love to this country?


Mr. John McCain, I am registered Independent, but I have a Medal of Merit from the late President Reagan and I was a member of the Task Force for his reelection. So on because of belonging to no party, but based on my discovery of the candidates and their stands on principles and issues, I do vote.

No comments: